What is CityGML
CityGML is an open standardized data model and exchange format for storing digital 3D models of cities and landscapes. It defines ways of describing the majority of common 3D functions and objects found in cities (such as buildings, roads, rivers, bridges, vegetation and urban furniture) and relations between them. It also defines various standard levels of detail (LOD) of 3D objects, which allows us to represent objects for various applications and purposes.
At RapidCrafting, we deal with the professional creation of digital urban models based on the CityGML standard. We model 3D objects in specific accuracy and detail, based on 3D scanning data – point clouds as well as diagonal images. We are able to reproduce a building with a very complex façade and entire building areas in the accuracy of LOD3. We have extensive experience in modeling areas, buildings, and small architectural elements.
Digital material can be used as a basis for communication with residents, it is also necessary when performing detailed physical models – urban mockups.
What can you store in CityGML?
The types of objects stored in CityGML are grouped into different modules.
- Appearance: textures and materials
- Bridges: structures related to bridges
- Buildings: from the outside and interiors of buildings with individual surfaces
- Facilities: benches, traffic lights, signs etc.
- Areas that reflect different land uses, such as urban, agricultural etc.
- Terrain shape
- Transport: roads, railways and squares
- Vegetation: areas with vegetation or individual trees
- Lakes, rivers, channels, etc.